The NJROTC's Mission
The NJROTC program's mission is stated in the National Defense Act of 1916: "The purpose of NJROTC is to instill in students the value of citizinship, service to the United States, personal responsibility, and a sense of accomplishment."
- Promote patriotism
- Develop informed and responsible citizens
- Promote habits of orderliness and precision
- Develop a high degree of personal honor, self-reliance, self-discipline, and leadership
- Promote an understanding of the basic elements and requirements for national security
- Promote high school completion
- Develop leadership potential
- Provide information on the military services as a possible career
The NJROTC program is a joint effort of the US Navy and local school systems to enhance the education of students who join. But the instructors work for the principals of their schools, just as any other teacher does. Local educators are responsible for administering the NJROTC program at their schools and for assisting the program as needed.