The AVID program...
- teaches the organizational and learning strategies necessary to be successful in a competitive world.
- challenges students to take rigorous classes and provides the support to be successful through academic electives.
- offers the opportunities to explore and research college and career options through fieldtrip experiences.
AVID is a college preparatory program which places students in a rigorous curriculum with academic support. AVID is an elective class taken during the regular school day beginning in the ninth grade. The goal of AVID is to increase the enrollment of students who are in the middle academic ranks with academic potential and are capable of completing a college preparatory program.
AVID recruits students who have:
- Average to high test scores
- 2.0 - 3.4 grade point average
- College potential
- Desire and determination
- First to attend college in the immediate family
- Historically underrepresented in a four year college
- Low income
The AVID Mission at Cabrillo
Ensure that all students, and specifically students in the middle, with academic potential are capable of completing a college preparatory path:
- Will succeed in the most rigorous curriculum
- Will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges
- Will enter mainstream activities of the school
- Will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
Of the California AVID Graduates:
- 95% are enrolled in a college or university
- 24% are attending a two-year college
- 71% are attending a four-year university
- 80% of AVID students passed either the English or Mathematics portion of the college placement exam.
- 75% of the graduates are working either full or part-time to send themselves through college