Individual Student Support:
- Provide school social work services to identify the psychosocial needs of at-risk students and their families to address academic performance and achievement.
- Increasing intervention and in-kind resources for students by supervising a Social Work Intern 2 days a week.
- Provide case management, which is defined as organizing, coordinating, and sustaining activities and services to optimize the functioning of students and/or families. I have a SW intern/student from CSULB who will begin assisting this department in Mid-September.
- Assess needs.
- Provide linkages & resources in order to increase good attendance and academic success.
- Collaborate with District's Homeless Education and Foster Programs.
- Partner with community agencies and corporations to obtain in-kind goods and donations.
- Coordinate Multi-Disciplinary Student Support Structures-
- Active participant of a team approach by collaborating with school staff (Counselors, Psychologists, Administrators, Facilitators, Teachers, and Parent Center Representatives) to provide support to students and families.
- I have developed a referral system (See C.O.S.T. protocol and definition documents attached). The COST referral is system that assist the monitoring and progress of cases in the various stages (i.e. counselors, probation officer, children services, community agencies, etc.)
- Student Attendance
Last year, I had an active collaboration with Attendance Committee (Counselors, deans and administration) to identify students with chronic absenteeism and thus provide interventions to reduce drop-out rates.
- This year, I'll be focusing more on Parent Involvement working closely with the Parent Resource Center. I'll be assisting with PIQE (Parent Institute for Quality Education), VIP's application processing (except for Coaches). In addition, the continued support to the PRC will continue by linking it to workshops by community agencies and conduct presentations on topics of interest by parents addressing social and mental health issues.
- Provide assistance, collaborate with counselors, school psychologist with direct crisis response (i.e. suicide assessment, child crisis consultation, Child Protective Services reporting, etc.)
- Developed a school directory with the assistance of a SW intern last year to serve as a resource to students, parents, teachers and staff (available also in Spanish).
- I I'm located in the ACCESS area Room 1424 and my extension is 7094.
- Please email me any questions you might have. Looking forward to a great year and working with all of you to better serve our student
Ms. Beatriz A. Lopez, MSW-PPSC
School Social Worker
Cabrillo High School
2001 Santa Fe Avenue
Long Beach, CA. 90810
(562) 951-7700 ext. 7094